Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Runaways--A Review

The Runaways came out on DVD this week, and I finally had a chance to sit down and watch it.  Have any of you seen it already? 



I really liked this movie.  I will never look at Kristen and especially Dakota the same though.  They are tough and gritty and really encompassed the characters they were playing.  After seeing them as these characters, it's hard to imagine that they could ever play Jane and Bella.  They both totally nailed their characters.  I didn't see them as Dakota and Kristen AT ALL.  They were totally Cherie and Joan.  I wouldn't be suprised if there are nominations that come out of these roles.  They were phenomenal. 

This movie is everything that you would expect it to be.  Crazy, gritty, dark, and more than a little disturbing.  I just kept imagining my daughter at 15 doing the things they were doing and it made me a little sick.  If you can get past that, it is an amazing story of 5 teenage gilrs that broke all steriotypes and barriers at that time.  They proved that if you work hard enough and have enough determination you can accomplish anything.  It is empowering.  The thing that the movie also shows you is that those things can come at a price.  All of these girls had troubled lives to begin with, and I think their life situations added to how out of control they were once they were on their own.


   The original Runaways.  If you have seen this scene in the movie, you realize just exactly how much Dakota and Kristen nailed it!

    The cast.

It also made me realize just how much in character Kristen got to play Joan.  I think she took on all of  Joan's characteristics and ticks and twitches and it has literally taken her a year to start to get rid of them.  I think in essence she has been Joan up until the Eclipse press circuit when she seemed a little more like the pre-Joan Kristen.  Does anyone else agree?

So what did you guys think of this movie?  Do you think they rocked it? I know I won't be able to get Cherry Bomb out of my head anytime soon.

Hello Dad-dy, Hello Mooom, I'm your ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-CHERRY BOMB! 


Love,

Trix
Trixie & Tess

5 comments:

Christiejolu said...

I can not wait to see this movie! I thought Dakota played Lita Ford??? Who played Lita then??? I guess I will find out...

HG from Trueblood Twilight said...

I am fan of Joan Jett, so I will be watching this movie when it moves up my Netflix queue.

Kristen has never really done a bad film (Yes, I even liked her in Adventureland). She's so indie material, it just works for me. And I LOVE indie films.

MiMi said...

I haven't seen it and for some reason I thought it hadn't hit the theaters yet, how slow am I?

rpfangirldc said...

I haven't seen it yet, but I am sure that I will watch it at some point.

RobzSinger said...

@HG - couldn't agree more. i loved adventureland. i'm an indie girl too. that's why i think twilight will always be my fave movie of the saga.

i just reviewed the runaways on my blog yesterday, great minds think alike:) i've been singing cherry bomb all day.

@christie- i don't know who played lita ford. the movie really focuses on cherie and joan.

love ur banner girls. boys that sparkle are hot.