Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Mockingjay Reading Group-Week 1

Here we are girls...
finally...
week ONE of the Mockingjay Reading Group!  
Woot!  
Can you believe that we actually have 
IN OUR POSSESSIONS 
the actual book 
or downloaded version, 
if you're into that sort of thing ;)?!

If you've already read the entire 390 pages, raise your hand.  Go on, we won't be mad...because one of us, not naming any names here, has probably already done that as well.  Even if you have read the entire book, it's OK.  We completely understand.  However, we will be taking it slow and easy, just like last time.  We'll be breaking each weeks discussion into chapters, starting this week with Chapters 1-5.

As a way to break the ice 
and give us a few initial things to discuss, 
watch this...
Suzanne Collins reading the first chapter of the Mockingjay...
a little enticing for those of you who haven't decided to read this series yet...

So, first things first, 
who has been reading these 
books with the idea that Katniss 
has a thick Southern accent??  
That shocked the pants off of me.
I realize that each District probably holds onto some of the ways of what it once was, when they were part of the original United States.  These ways probably include accents, local cuisines, and general ways of life.  I just had never ONCE read Katniss' lines with a Southern accent in my head.  That's coming from a girl who lives close to the South and has a bit of a Southern drawl.  For whatever reason, I had always imagined that she just had a plain and simple sort of dialect.  I had already concluded that Katniss has a different way of speaking than those from the Capitol, because her and Gale have commented and made fun of the way Effie speaks, along with several others from the Capitol.  Just never Southern.

Interesting aspect from Mrs. Collins.  

How do you imagine Katniss?  
What sort of accent do you read her lines in?  
Anything else specific about her that you 
always imagine while reading the books?

Prior to The Mockingjay, who was/is your favorite Character of the Trilogy?

Come back next week as we 
discuss and explore Chapters 1-5!!  
There is still time to run out and buy the book, 
if you haven't done so already!  
We've updated the Reading Group list on our right sidebar.  
If you don't see your name and would like to be added, 
just let us know in the comments!
Trixie & Tess

8 comments:

Natalie said...

I never thought of Katniss as Southern either. I always assumed she was from closer to the mountains- maybe Appalachia, but def. not Southern.

And yes, I've finished the whole book. I couldn't put it down when I bought it.

Katniss was probably my favorite character through the whole series.

Olivia Carter said...

Oh my goodness! I'm SOOOOO glad you wrote this. When I watched the video that's the first thing I thought. She's got a southern accent? And no one else said anything.

Especially since I listened to the audiobooks with my husband and the reader DOESN'T do it with a southern accent and they are usually conscious of that sort of thing from the author.

But then I thought about it and I guess since they are in a coal mining area I could see it being like Kentucky or Virginia or something? Still it threw me.

HG from Trueblood Twilight said...

I never think of accents when I read a book, but I probably focus more on what I believe they look like.

Now, I actually had to wait for my daughter then my HUSBAND (yes, he read it before me!!!) to finish first. I am only on chapter4, so almost there to be able to discuss it.

MiMi said...

I skipped over the post cuz I've not even read The Hunger Games yet. But I'm with ya in spirit!! :) I can't wait to start em!

Munkee said...

Ditto on Mimi....gonna try to catch up with ya.

hotpants™ said...

I never thought of her as being Southern. Then again, I'm not sure I really thought about it at all. I guess the mining thing could only translate to certain parts of the country. Katniss is my favorite character with Peeta being a close second.

And yes, I've finished the book. :)

PeaceLoveApplesauce said...

[*raises Hand*] yes, I"ve read the whole thing.
Southern accent, Whoa! Never thunk it.
I've liked Peeta ever since we found out about him decorating cakes.. {love}.

twigirl_world said...

I'm here!! I wanna join in the fun. Even though I um *coughs* already read it all.
And I had read a long time ago she had a southern accent so now I was able to imagine it in this last book. Still very odd to me. I can't wait to see who gets these roles!
So anyway count me in!!Love you gals! And thanks for your love, support and comments on my blog!
*mwah*