Thursday, October 14, 2010

IRWTSMN--My Methods

Today we have a little more serious IRWTSMN post.  Tess and I thought it would be beneficial for people to hear our method's of IRWTSMNing, and if we heard some of the readers.  As you read in the Wayback post from yesterday, Tess and I have continued to try and encourage each other to be healthier people.  We text very often.  We found that our support for each other was most effective when it was accompanied by something like this:




Tess sent me these yesterday when I was in the depths of despair!  


I was trapped Chilean Miner style in a 6 hour meeting surrounded by jelly beans and bowl fulls of candy.  


I came out fairly unscathed thanks to Tess!


Seriously though, I have struggled to lose weight over the last 5-6 years after I had my last baby.  Up and down, up then down...then usually up again.  I finally for the first time in my life feel like I am on the right track to getting this weight off forever!!!  I have tried everything from Weight Watchers to Atkins, Medifast, protein shakes, Nutrisystem (couldn't even bring myself to open the boxes of food with that one).  All of these things worked for me for a while and then I would feel deprived and binge and never get started back.  Before, August 16th I was following other methods and was continuing to yo-yo.  Now I am following a program called Naturally Slim, here is a breakdown of what I have been doing:

  • First and foremost, only eat when you are hungry.
  • Eat what I want, when I want but only eat the portion size of your loosely held fist.  I have had trouble measuring this and so I just cut my portions in half.
  • Stay away from sugar as much as possible.  I have indulged a few times here and there.
  • Mix 1 part orange juice in with eight parts water and drink throughout the day.  I mix in 8 oz. of orange juice with 64 oz of water. I drink all day long.  The orange juice helps your blood sugar stay level and you don't get those crashes during the day.  It also helps control your appetite.  I am NEVER hungry.  I may get a craving for something now and then, but I never experience real hunger.
  • I started exercising.  I recently purchased an app on my iphone called Couch to 5k.  It does interval training between walking and jogging and is supposed to have you running a 5k in 9 weeks.  When I started I could barely walk up one flight of stairs without wheezing and huffing and puffing.  I am now up to 16 minutes of jogging in intervals of 3 and 5 minutes.  If I can do this, so can you!!!! I am an overweight asthmatic 30ish something woman!  I shouldn't be able to run.  I am slow and can't go very far, but I am doing it.
By making these changes, I have lost about 16 pounds since August 16th.  I am down a total of 34 pounds from my heaviest weight a little over a year ago! 

We want to hear from other readers who are IRWTSMNing.

E-mail us your story if you don't mind being featured.  Let's be an inspritation to each other!

Happy IRWTSMNing!

Love,
Trix
    
Trixie & Tess

8 comments:

Pocket Edward said...

So cool. I joined a group here in my state called "Marathon Makeover" which was like a Couch to 5K program, only longer--40 weeks. I started in January, and this June I ran a half marathon. YES. 13.1 miles. I had lost about 19 pounds in those 5 months when I found out I had a stress fracture in my left tibia. "WHAT? You gotta be kiddin' me." YES. Off the leg. NO WALKING NO RUNNING until OCTOBER. Well, girls, it's October and I have gained EVERY FUCKING POUND BACK. Needless to say, I am pretty discouraged, but have started training again. I missed the full marathon (it was last week), but I feel like I can get back to where I was. I love the IRWTSMN idea...what a motivator! I will keep you posted of my progress. I cannot tell you HOW GREAT I felt with just those 19 pounds gone! I'd like to feel that way again. WE CAN DO THIS!

MiMi said...

But I always think that my fists are like those big green Hulk fists at the store...!

rpfangirldc said...

CONGRATS on your weight loss!

I'm a life long chunky girl. I have been slow going for a while now. I do everything here... the half protions, no sugar, etc... (except the phone app) and have lost some weight.

Still working on finding my key though.

Dangrdafne said...

I am so proud of you Trixie - your plan sounds amazing and it obviously is perfect for your lifestyle and your needs. Finding the perfect fit (no pun intended) is hard but it seems you have done it and I couldn't be happier for you. Keep up the amazing work!!

Meghan said...

Wow! Congrats on that weight loss! And thanks for posting the tips - I totally need to try the OJ/water combo!

And I love how you referred to being trapped "Chilean Miner style". Amazeballs!

TwitardedMom said...

First of all, TNT rocks. I've posted your motivational pictures around my cube & shared them with co-workers.

My motivation tends to come and go. Right now it's at a high. One thing I have to have when I'm serious about weight loss is Portion Control. I buy low cal things in single serving packages. Otherwise it's just too easy to have several servings at once.

I'm trying to get back to sparkpeople.com for tracking my water intake, weight progress & easy recipies.

RobzSinger said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!

That's incredible. 16 pounds is no joke!

I need to do more jogging and less blogging myself.
Putting twi tunes on my ipod helped me a great deal when i was on the treadmill.

you're inspiring me to get back on the horse!

Munkee said...

This is inspiring! I love the whole idea of IRWTSMN. I hate running, but I played soccer this summer and while I almost died during the first game (seriously, are 45 minute halves necessary for the over-35 team?) I was pretty fit by the end. I am trying to work up to running about 7 miles so I can join my sister for a relay next summer. Glad to hear your story.