Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Not for the Faint of Heart--The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo--A Review


Tess and I decided to keep our non-Twilight book related interests to a simple book review rather than a full on book club. The one book we keep hearing sooo much about on Twitter is The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson.  This book is the beginning of a 3 part series (we love a good series!).  Here is my overall review of the book:

This book is definitely not for the faint of heart. This is also not a book that you would want to read for fluff or mindless reading.  If you want to read a book that has twists and turns and deals with serious plot matter, then this is the book for you.  This book has a lot of graphic material and frankly a subject matter that may be too explicit and hard to swallow for some.  That said, this is a great book!  You easily identify with the characters and want to keep reading to see what happens to them.  There are plot twists that you don't see coming and some that you do.  The main character, Lisbeth Salander is a kick a** kind of girl and it is intriguing to follow her development throughout the story.  Will she be the one to inspire Tess' next tattoo?  Probably not.

Overall, I liked it enough to start reading book two in the series.  Is it worth reading?  Yes, if you can handle the subject matter.

Xoxo,
Trix   

Tess's side notes:    

  1. **Don't forget to enter our Hot Rob Coffee Sleeve Giveaway!  Click HERE!  (giveaway ends    Thursday at midnight, we'll announce the winnerS on Friday - 4 people will win!)
  2. **I'm being featured on Twilight Junkies Anonymous today!  Click HERE to read my interview! 
  3. **Allie from fezfactiry (the coffee sleeve girl) made some new Rob/Twilight coffee sleeves and added them to her shop last night!!  Go take a looksie!  Click HERE  - Also, read yesterday's post and find out about the AWESOME discount Allie is offering our readers!!  
*muah* 

Trixie & Tess

7 comments:

Musing Bella said...

I'm so glad a fellow Twitard (or two) has read this book. However, I totally disagree. :( I thought the characters were boring and horrible and that the book was a waste of time. The plot twists were fairly predictable (the solution of the main mystery, for example, seemed obvious to me early on), and I didn't care what happened to the main guy. What a douche. Lisbeth was okay but I felt like I was supposed to think she was interesting just because she had tattoos.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, though! I hear the second one is the best one and that the third one gives a good, satisfying conclusion to the series. So: enjoy!!

TheonlyMrs(Kassie)Cullen said...

I saw that book when I was shopping and almost bought it. I have been looking for something new to read. I think I'll give it a shot.

Christiejolu said...

I was going to buy that book yesterday too...Now I wish I did...I am going back today to buy it! I finally bought Water for Elephants...I know I am slow...

MiMi said...

This was a really good book!! I think I'll be reading the next two sometime soon!

MaryRC said...

i cant seem to get myself to pick that book up. i feel like an outsider as i see this series floating around in every airport, plane and train.

i gotta see what else youve read

HG from Trueblood Twilight said...

It's pretty fun how mixed the reviews are on this series but I for one though, loved it.

I'll admit in the beginning, I was overwhelmed by all the backdrop that was being thrown out to us, but in the end, I actually did want to know more about the characters. (And towards the end, I was glued to my book)

The second book is just as good, and you'll get to know more about Lisbeth and her story. Keep reading, it's a great series.

hotpants™ said...

I'm going to read a book or two before starting the second one. I needed a break. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but yeah... it was dark.